Friday, November 19, 2010

Exultation!



Well, here it is - the final cut. Given a few more days I could probably spend several more hours tweeking this and that, but deadlines ensue. iMovie, all-in-all is a pretty decent program, it suffers though from what I feel most Mac products suffer from. That being that they don't have any real concern for what the user wants to do. Yes iMovie is far more self explanatory than most Mac programs and features, but it is not compatible with any other form of media. For instance, I checked out an audio recorder from the fourth floor AV center and it was SO smart - sleek, small, easy to use, even came with a well creased manual just in case I didn't get something. However after self-consciously finding an empty Art-Ed room and sitting there by myself reading from a script, I had tons of clips to sort through. I then plugged the recorder into the computer and could download, and ACTUALLY hear my own voice come out of the computer. Only then to not be able to convert the files into any format that iMovie would take. After a half hour of frustration I walked up to the fourth floor computer lab, plugged in the recorder, and there my files were, along with a "convert" button that turned them right into MP3's, and TADAA, a PC had fixed the issue in less than three minutes. Then skip over a few hours worth of listening and moving items one or two seconds back and forth, I finally called it finished. In my personal classroom I can't see using this as an instructional tool nor really as a way of introducing a lesson, this I feel must be tailored to the interest of the current class. Perhaps though these videos, if created over a long summer or break without anything else to do could sit very happily on my website and serve to excite those few students who need to be pushed. This could also be a way for parents and fellow colleagues to see how the Arts play out in other cities, or schools, depending on the content of the video. In the end, I appreciate the experience, and the resulting video, my only regret is the inability to come back to this project on other Mac computers other than my own that this video was created on.

1 comment:

  1. nicely done! I think your end product shows the work you put into it, it looks good. There are some funny sounding pops and stuff in the audio, I wonder if Audacity has the capability to fix that...

    I finished mine up late last night, I had trouble installing programs to edit with.
    Check it out, it's long but I think it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete